Saturday, November 19, 2016


 Among the many disappearing items in Venezuela today, the one that worries the most:  talented young people.

Slowly, we have learned to deal with the other shortages in our lives (i.e. almost everything that is simultaneously essential and hoard-able). What choice do we have if we are to survive?

No corn flour? Grow some. Grind some. No oil. Boil everything. No cooking gas? Gather some firewood. No sugar? Grate a block of raw sugar cane.  No cash at the banks? Trade food with a friend over the fence. No dog food? Cook vegetable scraps. No coffee? Simmer some lemongrass (hmm.. that one is definitely NOT satisfactory).

Some say we are healthier because of this food crisis.  We are eating real food.  We are growing lots of it ourselves. Diabetes and high blood pressure are being purged from our collective bodies. At our best moments we tease that we might just be probably the healthiest nation on the planet. 

Of course, it's not so simple. We are exhausted. And skinny. As I look at my neighbor taking up yet another belt notch to keep his pants from falling to his ankles, I know that malnutrition, then hunger, are only steps. away.  

It's been a testimony to parental love to see   my adult neighbors have all dropped 10, 20, 30  (or more) kilos, while their kids more or less stay the same. (One neighbor tells me that there are many days when he just eats a baby's portion of food - just enough to keep alive - so that the kids will have enough, )

But the rapid disappearance of our young people from our communities is what most worries me, and tugs at my heart. 

I don't have to look far. My own three adult children who grew up in Venezuela and love their country with a passion, have left. The last one to throw in the towel ( for the moment) is my middle son: a talented chef. But trying to set up a restaurant in a nation with no food is like trying to open a water park in the Sahara. 

They are far from alone. 

Statistics are hard to come by, but many estimate that over 2 million Venezuelans have left over the past year or two. That is close to 10% of the population and a much larger proportion of those in their 20's and 30's. The photo on the top of the page was taken of my daughter with her closest friends a few years ago. I realize that 5 of these 6 young women have now settled outside of Venezuela. 

 In addition to my kids, most of their friends have left, and most of the friends of friends. Auto mechanics, graphic designers, doctors, musicians, psychologists, dental students, filmmakers. That is just the list of young people I know personally who have left in the past month.  They have scattered mostly to other countries in the Americas: Panama, the Dominican Republic, Colombia, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay., Chile. 

With most salaries i Venezuela currently under $100 per month (including professionals) it's hard not to look elsewhere. Add to that the grueling task of finding food. I've finally come to the conclusion that it takes less stress (albeit more energy)  to grow my own food than search for it in stores. But I have land to do so, which is not the case for most.

This story of mass migration is hardly even a story for many places across the Americas.

But it is a new story for Venezuela, a country that had been the destination of immigrants from around the Americas , Europe and Middle East for decades. Venezuela opened its home and heart to those fleeing military dictatorships, wars, and economic travesties around the globe.   I'm one of the many who was taken in my these big-hearted and generous people. 

Today I was saddened to learn about a march planned in Panama this week to reject Venezuelan immigrants. The main complaint, according to the invitation to march, seems to be regarding the abundance of arepas and tequeños (Venezuelan soul food) now being sold on Panamanian streets.

I can't help but wonder how many Panamanians received free eye surgery thanks to Venezuela, or cheap Venezuelan oil to power their cars.  Venezuela under Chavez oozed solidarity for its neighbors in the Americas and around the globe.

Some young people are opting to stay, even when presented with possibilities of moving on. Stay tuned for my next blog post, when I'll share some of their stories, that fill me with hope 

But for now I'll allow myself to mourn the loss of so many vibrant, talented, motivated young people who are leaving Venezuela in droves, giving the best years of their lives to other lands. 

And I"ll pray that my adopted nation  may find reprieve from this storm and set a course that works for all its citizens so that our young and talented youth may return before their  roots sink too deep in other foreign soils. Meanwhile, I send my support to all Venezuelans living in all corners of the world. Please share the best of who we are: fun, generous, loving, hard working and forever in need of an arepa or tequeño.  

14 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: (urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

    I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders.

    Thanks you Dr Purva Pius Loan service for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you looking for a loan company capable of meeting your financial needs?
    we offer user friendly services that meets your business and private needs. with just an interest rate of 2% we give you access to different categories of loans($50,000 -$100,000) to tuition loans to car loans to mortgage to vacation loans($20,000 -$2,000). contact us now and get you loan decision within five minutes and your loan approval and disbursal of funds within 24 hours to any country.email us at smallscaleloans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. INTERNET SCAM ALERT‼️

    The internet today is full of SCAM ADS, mostly in comments of various sites and blogs. A large number of individuals have been victims of scam and lost a lot of money to SCAMMERS. Most of the common scam you can see
    ❌BANK LOAN SCAM. ❌BINARY OPTIONS SCAM.
    ❌BINARY AUCTION SCAM. ❌HACKING SCAM. and lost more......

    But here is a good news to everyone who has been a victim of INTERNET SCAM❗️
    You can get your money back from your scammer, Authorities will not been involve just the genius of our skill.

    WHO ARE WE⁉️
    We are PLUGGERS! A group of skilled Hackers and have dedicated our time to help individuals get back thier money from INTERNET SCAMMERS. There is a research was carried on to calculate the amount of money individual loose to Scam, and it was confirmed that more than USD $3billion annually. This is so wrong and that’s why we have decided to help individuals get thier money.

    HOW DO WE OPERATE⁉️
    We first of all study the scammer brought to us by hacking the person device(phone or computer) to get information of How, Where, this person keeps money he/she as defrauded from people ( so many of this scammers don’t actually save the money in banks, they mostly stack the money in a Bitcoin wallet, that way it is safe and untraceable to authorities) and we work on a strategy to get back the money and give it back to whom they have defrauded.

    Contacting us is simple, just give us a message through the email below.
    Email-: globalpluggers@gmail.com

    If you a victim of internet scam or you know someone who is, make contact to us immediately. You are 💯 % safe to contact us, our email is very secure.









    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all
    am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
    they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
    peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
    now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
    Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
    I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

    Available Services

    ..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

    ..Western Union Transfer all over the world

    ..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

    ..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

    ..Spamming Tool

    ..keyloggers / rats

    ..Social Media recovery

    .. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

    discount for re-seller

    Contact: 24/7

    fixitrogers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello all
    am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
    they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
    peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
    now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
    Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
    I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

    Available Services

    ..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

    ..Western Union Transfer all over the world

    ..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

    ..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

    ..Spamming Tool

    ..keyloggers / rats

    ..Social Media recovery

    .. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

    discount for re-seller

    Contact: 24/7

    fixitrogers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. Finally got my debts of my neck and i have enough money saved for my Christmas shopping. It all happened as i stumbled into this email address blankatm002@gmail.com initially i was looking to get extra jobs to boost my salary and i found how the blank ATM card from this company gives you more than $20,000 all in 1 month. At first i though it was another internet scheme until i saw several reviews of how this blank card from this company has changed the lives of many without hesitation i ordered for the card and in less than 7 days it was delivered to me and the agent showed me how it works and it was even tested its been just 3 weeks and everything seems a lot less stressful this company has really changed my life and standard of living. I would love you on this site to visit blankatm002@gmail.com and get a card today to ease that stress and get good money its so quick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
    machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
    stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
    buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,000 on ATM
    and up to $20,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
    you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
    services, we are here for you anytime any day. contact us
    via email address::{ccchackers002@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  11. What are your Financial needs? We give out loans from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $100,000,000.00 with comfortable duration that ranges from 1 to 35 years at a very reduced interest rate of 3%. Contact us via email: {infoloanfirm8@gmail.com}
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Carrol Walker

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Everybody, I live in Cuba and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $20, 000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $20, 000.00 Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Ruth Walls, that refer you to him. contact via email:(infoloanfirm8@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete


  13. Are you a business man or woman? Are you in a financial mess or do You need funds to start your own business? Need to pay loans Their Debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you have a low credit score and you will find it hard to get Capital loan from local banks / other financial institutions? You need one Loan or funding for any reason such as:Email: inforamzanloan@gmail.com

    *Personal Loans
    *Commercial Loans
    *Investments Loans
    *Development Loans
    *Consolidation Loans
    *Student Loans
    *Car Loans
    *Mortgage Loans
    *Acquisition Loans
    *Construction loans

    We offer loan at low interest rate of 3% and with collateral and not Collateral, we offer personal loans, debt consolidation loans, venture capital Capital, business loan, education loan, mortgage or Loans for any reason".

    However, our method offers the possibility to specify the amount of the loan needed and also the duration you can afford it, gives you a real Chance get the funds you need!

    Contact us via E-mail: inforamzanloan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    Https://www.facebook.com/104891335203341/

    ReplyDelete